Thursday, September 2, 2010

Letter of Introduction

My name is April, I am 29 years old born and raised here in St. Joseph, MO. I have 4 sisters and 1 brother,  5 nephews and 2 nieces who I absolutely adore.   I graduated in 1999 from Lafayette High School and have been working the past 3 1/2 years as a Adult Career Counselor at the Missouri Career Center.  In June our funding was cut and I was layed off.  I considered this lay off to be to my benefit because it has given me the opportunity to go to school to achieve a degree in Elementary Education.  In high school I took World Literature, Creative Writing, and English 104 my Senior year.  In those classes I wrote several essay's, wrote a book, and read Othello as our big essay for English 104.  I love to read in my spare time.  My favorite author's are Nicholas  Sparks and Jodie Picoult, I have read all of their books.

3 comments:

  1. HI April,

    Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that you were laid off; however, it appears that you are taking it as a compliment, so to speak. I'm happy that you have come back to school to pursue a degree in Elementary Education.

    Jodi Picoult is also one of my favorite authors. I have read nearly every novel except for about four novels. My favorites include: Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister's Keeper.

    Did you enjoy the classes you took in HS (e.g. World Literature, Creative Writing, and English 104)? What did you enjoy the most?

    Ms. Chastain

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the process of reading Change of Heart now and just let my godmother borrow Nineteen Minutes. The Pact is also one of my favorites. If you haven't read any of Nicholas Sparks books, you should, The Guardian is my favorite by far.
    Yes, I enjoyed the classes in High School. Creative Writing was my favorite, I had a great teacher. English 104 was challenging, but it gave me an idea of what to expect for college, I just had that I waited 11 years to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April,

    Jodi Picoult is definitely a favorite. You should enjoy "Change of Heart." I had the awesome opportunity to meet her at a book signing in March in KC. It was wicked. I have an autographed copy of "House Rules," her new book. It is about a teenage boy with autism and his fascination with crime. You should check it out if you have the time.

    I have read Nicholas Sparks in the past; however, it has been awhile, I must admit. For some authors, it takes me awhile to become engaged. Unfortunately he is one of these authors. :(

    It's ok that you waited. I actually recommend that for some who are just graduating, they should wait until they are ready. If not, they blow through their classes and they just don't care. It's a waste of money.

    ReplyDelete