Friday, September 10, 2010

On Becoming a Chicano

I wouldn't define my racial identity as anything other than a White girl.  I have never been called any names that associate with being white.  Ive heard the labels people use, such as Cracker, Honkey, White Trash, etc.  As for myself I have never been called them.  I do however have mixed nephews and have heard several labels thrown out in conversation.  Not so much directing it towards them but in general or as a joke.  I personally do not appreciate those jokes nor do I find them funny.  I don't want my nephews to grow up to use those words or to think that it is okay to say those kind of things to people, whether it's joking or not.  In my eyes everyone is equal and should have a fair chance at everything, whether you are White, Black, Hispanic, or any other ethnic.  The color of your skin, hair, or accent that you have does not define who you are.  I want my nephews to grow up being treated equally and not be expected to for sake of argument, "Sit at the back of the bus".   I do not want them going through life have racial slurs thrown at them and think that it is okay. I just don't believe that you should have to grow up with the stereotype that people believe others have based on their ethnicity.

1 comment:

  1. Hi April,

    I appreciate your response and certainly agree. How does the experience of your nephews similar or different than Rodriguez? Rodriguez writes that he is viewed as a Chicano, a Chicano intellectual, a gringo, etc. With all of these labels considered, how would Rodriguez refer to himself? How does it affect him personally among his own people?

    ReplyDelete