Friday, September 24, 2010

Sister Flowers

I think that she felt that Sister Flowers was a genuine, smart, nice person who she admired.  She states that, "She was one of the few gentlewomen I have ever known, and has remained throughout my life the measure of what a human being can be."  She looked up to here and enjoyed the smiles she gave her.  She liked that she had invited her into her life even though she was a stranger.  She encouraged her to read and remember poems, to read aloud and know what each word meant.  She felt respected by everyone once she spoke to Sister Flowers.  I think of my father when I think of a measure of what a human being can be.  He did not graduate high school, therefore people would think he is not smart and could have had a better life.  I disagree with this because he has come a long way in life regardless of his educational background.  He taught me the values in life and to never give up, something they don't teach in school.  He has always been so kind, he would give his last dollar to someone if they really needed it, leaving him with nothing.  I compare him to all men in my life whether its a boyfriend, a friend, a co-worker, whatever the situation.  He showed me how I should be treated and how I should treat others.

1 comment:

  1. Hi April,

    Thank you for sharing! I like how you have began with Sister Flowers and have concluded with your own experience. This tells me that you are able to compare your experiences with that of the author's and that you can think critically of a text.

    Kudos to your father. I am glad that he could be "Sister Flowers" to you :) I know that may sound awkward. It appears that who Sister Flowers was to the author, this is how your father was to you.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete