Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Becoming Educated

An education to me, means being self sufficient.  In the past 14 years of working, I have always been asked what my school background was at every job I've ever had.  I've only  been able to say that I completed High School.  In my past job it was required to have a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, I was fortunate enough to get the job without it, due to my previous work history.  Now that I am no longer employed there, I find it crucial to continue my education to receive the job I desire.  The job that will make me happy and become self sufficient.  I do not want to be someone who has a family down the road and can't afford to provide for them.  I do not want to live on Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).  I want to get everything I get by working for it because I continued my education.  Now days you can not get the job that pays you well without a degree.

1 comment:

  1. HI April,

    Thank you sharing this personal experience. Unfortunately, what you encountered is what many many Americans who only have a HS degree face. You work until you get to a specific level and it is on hold because you only have a HS diploma. I am happy that you have decided to attend college to better your future and the potential family you may have.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete