Monday, October 25, 2010

Why I decided to come to college

After high school, I moved to Aurora, CO to begin a life on my own.  Yes, I have family there, but thought if I moved away from the comfort and security of my parents I could learn more, be more independent.  I worked at two different jobs while living there that only paid enough to pay my bills due to the higher cost of living there.  One year later, I moved back to St. Joseph.  In the past nine years, I have worked as a nanny, customer service representative at different department stores, worked in factories, and finally working for the state as a counselor for college students.  During the three and a half years of being a counselor, I began to envy them, began to wish that I could somehow afford to go to college myself and pursue my dream of getting a higher education and a job with security.  Once the budget cuts came in this past June, I knew it was a sign to go for it.  I will probably struggle throughout school as I seen most of my clients that I helped, but in the end, I will know that it will be well worth it and I will have the satisfaction of completing my dream.

1 comment:

  1. Hi April,

    I appreciate your response. I can tell that this is something you could continue for Task Three. If so, I would encourage you to use Mary Sherry's "In Praise of the F Word." In doing so, you could easily include what you have discussed here as well because it is relevant to your story. If you think otherwise, then use your own discretion. Let me ask you though, where does your story begin. I know from earlier conversations that you had trouble with one class in HS. As I think you may use this, would you say that the story you include above, may be suit for a conclusion or one of the last body paragraphs?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete